PepperDB is a blockchain-based database protocol and a DApp store. It is designed to leverage the power of existing databases (MySQL/MongoDB/Redis etc.) into blockchain, and allows developers to build DApp without changing their tech stack, especially the SQL layer.
We believe the database is a cornerstone for most applications and that a blockchain-based database will be a killer-app for DApp developers.
Until now, more and more blockchain-based applications are emerging, but we have identified that these critical problems still have not been solved properly:
- Complex applications are limited by the storage capacity of blockchain.
- Existing developers cannot understand smart contracts easily, they want to build DApps using their existing tech stack.
- Blockchain cannot handle complex data structures, especially those needed by analytical applications.
- The confirmation speed on-chain is very slow, cannot handle too much DApp.
- The cost of storage is too high, we need a much better compression algorithm and architecture.
All these restrictions make DApp development not so easy and limit the growth of the whole blockchain ecosystem.