About Avai Football Club
On April 12, 1924, Avahy FC, alongside with other clubs of the Santa Catarina region, founded the LSCDT – League Santa Catarina Sports Ground, today recognized as the Federation of Santa Catarina football. In its first year of formation, the LSCDT organized the 1st ever championship of Santa Catarina football. Avahy would see off all other competition and be crowned champions, the first champions of the Santa Catarina footballing state. We wouldn’t stop there though, as we’d continue this supremacy winning the title in the next four years after our first championship; 1925, 1926, 1927 and 1928.
On 10 February 1946, Avaí defeated the Caxias Joinville in a one sided final by 9 goals to 2, and thus winning the fourth championship of the Federation of Santa Catarina football league. In the following few decades the success dried up, as the club would fall into hard times without notable success. But you can’t keep a good team down, and Avaí found a way to turn things around, the ‘Lion Of The Island’ would roar once again as they would christen their new stadium with its first title victory, winning the championship of Santa Catarina, in 1988. However financial difficulties within the management of the club would strike in 1995, with the club basically getting run by the players themselves for a period. The fans of Avaí would play a heroic role however, supporting the club through these hard times and showing the players the support needed to carry on when all hope seemed lost. The commitment of the fan base was so pivotal, that it motivated the players that season to get to the final and win once again, 3-1 to once again taste success and give the fans there reward for showing amazing support.